Tuesday, April 14, 2009

More New Poetry....

Here are a few more new poetry books you might want to check out:

City I Love by Lee Bennett Hopkins

City

Mile-long skyscrapers are my trees.
Subway's whoosh-my summer breeze.

A hydrant is my swimming pool
Where friends and I find some cool.

City is the place to be.
City is the place for me.



Orangutan Tongs: Poems to Tangle Your Tongue by Jon Agee

Walter and the Waiter

Walter Witter called a waiter: "Waiter, over here!
I want some water, waiter. Water, waiter! Is that clear?"
The waiter brought some water. Walter Witter shouted: "WRONG!
This water's really watered-down! I like my water strong!"
The waiter brought more water. Walter Witter was upset.
"This water's dry!" said Walter. "I like my water wet!
Bring me wetter water, waiter!" Walter Witter said.
The waiter brought a pitcherful and poured it on his head.


The Surrender Tree: Poems of Cuba's Struggle for Freedom by Margarita Engle

I love the sounds
of the jungle at night.

When the barracoon
where we sleep
has been locked,
I hear the music
of crickets, tree frogs, owls,
and the whir of wings
as night birds fly,
and the song of un sinsonte,
a Cuban mockingbird,
the magical creature
who knows how to sing
many songs all at once,
sad and happy,
captive and free...

songs that help me sleep
without nightmares,
without dreams.

No comments: