Friday, October 23, 2009

The Magician's Elephant

The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo was published on September 8th and I had an opportunity to read it at the end of September. Kate is best known for her books The Tale of Despereaux and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. I have read both of those while I enjoyed them both (especially Edward Tulane) I adored The Magician's Elephant. Elephant is magicial and Kate's writing is extraordinary. It is the story of a young boy named Peter Augustus Duchene, a ten-year-old orphan who goes on a journey to find his lost sister and save a mysterious elephant. The message is one of hope and faith and left me feeling that life can be full of magic if you are willing to believe. Here is my favorite quote from the story: "It is important that you say what you mean to say. Time is too short. You must speak words that matter." (p49)

I highly recommend The Magician's Elephant to fans of Kate DiCamillo's work and those looking for an uplifting read.

No comments: