Monday, March 31, 2008

Audiobooks

If you like listening to audiobooks here are a few you may want to hear:

The Aurora County All-Stars by Deborah Wiles, Narrated by Kate Jackson. Aurora County is the Book Buddies April book selection and this audio version is spectacular. I can't think of a better choice than Kate Jackson to bring the people of Aurora County to life. (Those of us old enough will remember Kate Jackson from Charlie's Angels fame and later from the great '80s TV series Scarecrow and Mrs. King.) Request this audiobook through the library here.



A Week in the Woods by Andrew Clements, Narrated by Ron Livingston. Woods is a terrific book and Ron Livingston is the perfect narrator to give voices to the main characters, Mr. Maxwell and Mark Chelmsley. I've personally always been a little on the fence about audiobooks - most of the time I'd just rather read the book. But Ron Livingston made me a convert and I'm sad to say, I've yet to find another audiobook that he's done.
Request this audiobook through the library here.




Emma-Jean Lazarus Fell Out of a Tree by Lauren Tarshis, Narrated by Mamie Gummer. I liked Emma-Jean so much that I am seriously considering this one as a possible book club selection for next year. Mamie Gummer does a fantastic job keeping all of the characters separate and giving each their own "voice." She is on her way to becoming as much of a talent as her famous mom, Meryl Streep. Request this audiobook through the library here.




Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling, Narrated by Jim Dale. Mr. Dale is actually the narrator of all of the Harry Potter audiobooks and I'm told that listening to him is an experience like no other. I've not actually had a chance to listen to any of the Harry Potters (although of course, I've read them all) but my friends and fellow librarians tell me that the narration is incredible and that even if you've read the books it's worth it to listen to them again because it's like experiencing Harry's world in a totally different way. Mr. Dale has won numerous awards for his efforts including a Grammy Award in 2008 for Deathly Hallows. This audiobook is available in the Children's Department at the Newport Public Library so come get it today!

I will continue to listen to audiobooks as I drive to and from work (I have a bit of a commute) and as I find ones I really like, I'll let you know. 'Til next time, happy listening!

No comments: