Thursday, August 22, 2013

Favorite Books of Summer

It's hard to believe summer is winding down and the new school year is almost upon us.  Before we get into the swing of September, I want to know: What was your favorite book this summer?  Did you read something that you loved?  Something that inspired you?  Made you laugh or cry?  Which books will you recommend to your friends and classmates this Fall?

What was the best book of summer 2013??

I'll start things off with a book I read a few weeks ago and really enjoyed.  It's one I plan to recommend to kids at the library and one I'm sure we'll wind up reading in Book Buddies at some point!
X

Escape From Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein

Kyle Keeley is the class clown, popular with most kids, (if not the teachers), and an ardent fan of all games: board games, word games, and particularly video games. His hero, Luigi Lemoncello, the most notorious and creative gamemaker in the world, just so happens to be the genius behind the building of the new town library. Lucky Kyle wins a coveted spot to be one of the first 12 kids in the library for an overnight of fun, food, and lots and lots of games. But when morning comes, the doors remain locked. Kyle and the other winners must solve every clue and every secret puzzle to find the hidden escape route. And the stakes are very high.

I've heard this one described as a cross between Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Night at the Museum and I'd say that's pretty accurate!  Escape is a fun, madcap adventure, full of riddles and puzzles.  The descriptions of the library are incredible - this is definitely a place I would love to visit! I really enjoyed following Kyle and his friends as they worked together to find the secret escape route out of the library. 

Comment on this post and tell me, what was your favorite book of summer 2013?

No comments: